Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ventura relief

We beat the heat Friday by escaping to Ventura with Colleen, Lucas and Liana, and some other MOPS friends.

Though I should always be prepared for the cold when we go to Ventura, I had looked at the forecast and it called for a high of 75 and sun.

When we arrived about 10:45, it was in the low 60s and cloudy. Thankfully I had sweaters for Cora and me, and Colleen had an extra warm outfit for Liana she let us borrow.

The weather didn't bother Lucas and Cora. They played in the sand for a long time, bringing water back in the buckets.

Eventually the sun did shine brightly, and Cora really had a great time in the water, running back and forth in the shallow part of the waves. She was very vocal about her enjoyment, saying what a great time she was having and how much she loved the water and how she wasn't scared anymore.

Violet and Liana liked the beach, too. They both took a nap in Colleen's tent.

Speaking of Cora talking, I haven't mentioned any Coraisms lately. I think it's because she chatters all the time, and says so many funny things, I forget to write them down!

I did jot this down the other day, when Cora found a stack of rubber bands from the pile of newspapers I was going through after we got home. She put them on her wrist and said,
"If I put rubber bands on, I'm like a soldier. Sometimes soldiers have rubber bands."

In the airport leaving L.A., Cora said to Stace, "Daddy, you're a very lucky man."
"Why's that?" he asked.
"Because I'm your girl!"

One thing she says these days is "super duper," and she also says "bessert" for dessert. By the word she means a little snack before bed, not necessarily something like cake or ice cream. We now try to build in "bessert" time in our evening, when she can have a handful of blueberries or a small yogurt.

No comments: