Friday, September 22, 2017

Week in Review

Cora was invited to her friend Chris's birthday dinner, so Stace and I let Violet choose where we had dinner Saturday. She picked MOD Pizza; her choice was pineapple and bacon pizza, and Stace convinced her to add ham, too.


We were all invited back to Liz and Max's house for cake, so we enjoyed the evening with drinks and chit chat while the kids had a Nerf war in the cul-de-sac.

On Sunday, Violet went with Grandma and Grandpa to the water park for Grandpa's annual union picnic. Cora stayed back with me and Stace; she still isn't a fan of long car rides. 

Instead, we went to Placerita Nature Center, where SClarita historian and writer John Boston gave a talk on interesting tidbits from the valley's past. We all enjoyed it; I knew John back when he had a regular column in the Signal, and I freelanced for that paper.




We then took a little walk through the canyon.
Violet started using a new backpack, a really good one that might take her through to junior high. Yes, it's nearly as big as she is. But I still see her looking so much older in this photo! It must be the hair, with her longer locks and her bangs.

A month ago, when we were getting Cora's hair cut for back-to-school, Violet declined a trim.
"I'm growing my hair out so people at school don't recognize me," she informed us. When we asked why, she explained, "Everybody knows me and likes me and goes to talk to me!"

OK, then! Another Violetism, from this week... She overheard Stace and me talking about a family member with car troubles, and she said, "That's why I don't want a car when I'm older. I want a horse."
Stace replied: "What, you're going back in time?"
"No," she said, "I'm going to live in England!"

She then said she wants to live on a farm in England, where her horse would be reasonable transportation.



Cora has football practice twice a week, and though we don't all need to be there, Stace and I have enjoyed making it a family event. Violet brings books - she's reading through the second Harry Potter book at the moment.
Also this week, Cora got her retainer for her teeth, to keep those newly straightened top teeth in line.
Cute, huh? She chose this watermelon design from a long list of possibilities. It also glows in the dark. She takes it out to eat; let's cross fingers she doesn't lose it anytime soon.

No comments: