I've been having happy reunions and sad goodbyes with my family for ten years since I took the leap and began my Californian adventure.
Over the years the goodbyes have become harder. Ten years ago my Nan, Mary, came to Valencia for my wedding and then visited again the following year. Over the years as we have all aged, Nan's health has declined. She now lives in a nursing home and has trouble walking. In the last few months she has had minor heart attacks and lung problems. At the beginning of August, Nan went into hospital again. She had had another heart attack and had difficulty breathing.
On Friday, I received a call from my Mum and Dad that I have been dreading for years. It was time for me to go home and see my Nan. Her condition had worsened and things did not look good.
I booked a flight to London and flew home without Lisa and the girls on Saturday, arriving on Sunday. My good friend Andy drove me home from the airport to Martock.
I visited Nan at the hospital and to my great surprise, her condition had improved; she was sitting up in a chair and looked really pleased to see me.
She is an incredible lady. She is strong and determined, wanting to meet Dean and Jenny's new baby when he or she is born in a few weeks. She never complains about her situation or feels sorry for herself. She is an example to all her family and we are incredibly proud of her.
I spent the next few days at the hospital chatting to my Nan about everything and anything. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to tell her how I feel about her, how much I her love and how grateful I am for all the things she ever did for us.
On Thursday it was time to say farewell again. It was a very emotional time. I hope and pray that this was not our last goodbye. I hope she continues to surprise us all. If this was our final kiss goodbye, she knows how I feel about her, and I know how she loves me and all of her family.
On Friday night I was back in Valencia following a lovely welcome home from my beautiful wife and gorgeous girls at the airport.
My thoughts remain with my Nan, who I hope will be able to go home soon, and with my Mum, Dad, Dean and Jenny.
Me and Nan, June 2013.
4 comments:
She's just beautiful, Stacey! What a lovely picture of you two. Aunt Patty
We will continue to pray for you and your family, and for Nan's wellness. We love you all! Bill & Patty
Stacey, thank you for sharing with us this personal and touching moment with your Nan. Beautifully written. Our prays are with her.
Bill
Stace, Lovely words, Nan knows how much we all love and think of her.
We also know how much she loves us ,as she's always telling us. You and Dean are her world ,she is so Proud of you both,her Great-Grandchildren complete it.(now she has 4 with the arrival of Olivia Grace,born on the 19th Aug.A little early ).Your Dad and I were so glad you were able to come over ,and that you could visit Nan and spend time with her ,she said she really loved that.I often read your card to her.We Love you so much Stace ,take care of yourself.Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment