Thursday, May 31, 2007

England update

With Sue and Gord off this week, the time is going by much quicker now. Stace and Gord have been busy the last two days putting kitchen cabinets together for the Howards' kitchen makeover.
On Bank Holiday Monday, Stace, Cora and I went with Dean and Jenny to Weymouth, a beach town on the south coast. The weather wasn't too bad there - cold and windy but dry. (On Sunday, the rain didn't stop all day.) The town was packed as there was some sort of festival going on for the holiday weekend, and it was a great atmosphere. On Tuesday, Sue, Gord, Nan, Dean and the three of us went to visit Hawkchurch, a tiny tucked-away village where Nan grew up. We walked around the old farmhouse she grew up in and visited the village's church and pub. We then went down to Lyme Regis, a beautiful fishing town on the Dorset coast. Though dry, the weather was quite cold and very windy, so we didn't stay too long.
Cora continues to entertain us with her development. She is reaching for things more often and holding her head so well. She sometimes even keeps her head steady and level when I'm picking her up off the bed. Still not much luck getting her to take a bottle, sadly. Sue and I went to Mothercare yesterday, a big store like Babies R Us, and bought an expensive and funky-looking bottle that we'll try out later (http://www.breastflow.co.uk/). Cross your fingers, everyone, because Stace and I plan to leave her with Sue and Gord Friday night to spend the evening with Dean and Jenny, and it would be fantastic if Cora is pleasant and eats something while we're gone. Oh, and speaking of pleasant, that screeching cry we mentioned in an earlier post keeps rearing its not-so-pretty head. Since she started making the noise in England, I hope she leaves it here as well!
In other Cora news, we have had very bad luck using disposable diapers while we've been here, with her poop leaking out just about every day. We're washing her clothes so often, I'm wishing I had just brought along her cloth diapers, as it would have been easier and cheaper to wash them then buy throwaways AND wash her clothes all the time. I think my memory of changing her entire ruined outfit, with her on her travel changing mat on the floor of a dirty, tiny Glastonbury bathroom, my head right next to the filthy toilet, will be with me forever.

No comments: