Since Cora's life will soon be changing in a major way, I thought I'd do one last "Day in the Life of Cora" post (at least, before the posts get a new title, with two girls' names!).
As I've said before, if you're not a direct parent/grandparent/subject of the post, you will probably find this a bit too detailed to hold your interest.
Wednesday, March 24
8:20 a.m. - Cora wakes up, after I've opened her curtain. We're skipping Stroller Strides today because we had a bit of a late night on Tuesday and will have a full mid-day, so I don't want to be rushing. I am very pregnant, after all. Cora tells me she's hungry, hungry for honey. (This is one of Winnie the Pooh's favorite things to say.) "Maybe we can get a honey pot?" she says.

8:40 - Cora comes out and eats oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts. We read from her preschooler devotional book; this day's entry is about singing to God, and asks what song the child might be able to sing. I suggest "Jesus Loves Me," but she quickly says no. "Heffalump song," she says, again, a Winnie the Pooh thing.
Cora plays with her toys in the playroom while I clean up after breakfast.
9:30 - We shower together, and Cora plays with her Lightning and Doc Hudson cars in the shower. She washes them over and over again, chattering away about whether they are clean or dirty. We then get ready to leave for...

10:30 - Library time at Newhall Library with Ave, Johnny and Owen. Today's books all have to do with colors, and the little craft project involves creating a little flag with a drinking straw and strips of crepe paper.

Library time, and then a picnic-park lunch with Genia and the kids, has been our routine the past couple of months.
11:30 - Genia suggests we stop at Starbucks on the way to the park. Who am I to argue? We park next to each other and I stay with the kids while she runs in. While we wait, Cora says she needs to wee, so when Genia comes back with the drinks, we head inside.

Then it's on to Newhall Park. On the way, Cora has lots of questions and advice about driving. "Go mummy, go. Why did you stop? If the light turns green, I'll say, Go, Mummy, Go. What is that car doing? Where is Miss Genia's car? Are we following her?"

11:45 - We eat lunch and the kids have fun playing. Well, it's all fun and games until Cora falls off the bridge and hits her head in the sand. After cuddles and kisses, her tears subside, and she shows no lasting effects.
1:30 p.m. - Time to go home. Once there, Cora uses the bathroom, we put on a diaper, and read a story. One part of the story mentions a dog pulling a sled through the snow. Cora says, "When I was in the snow, I put Somie in those (pointing to the harness in the picture), and Somie pulled me in the snow." Cora frequently puts herself into her stories and movies, and becomes part of the action.

I say good-night at 2 and she's asleep about 20 minutes later.
4:30 - Time for Cora to wake up, so I go in and open her curtain. Daddy's home, so Cora plays outside with him - they play a bit of tennis and then she hops into her car.
5:15 - Dinner time. Genia and I switch off every other week making dinner for both families, and tonight was my night to take it easy. She brings refried beans and a yummy tamale casserole.

5:40 - Time to get ready for Skipper Club. While I get Cora dressed, she hugs my belly and says, "I love Duckie. When Duckie comes out, and you sit with her on the rocking chair, I will come and give her a big huggle." She later asks if Duckie has legs now. I think this comes because months ago, I read to her that at that particular week, the baby was about the size of a banana, and Cora must have got confused about the baby's actual shape.
She then runs to the playroom and jumps from rubber square to square, announcing that she will teach Duckie this game when Duckie is big enough.

6 - Skipper club time! Cora really has enjoyed Skipper club this year. The start of club has all the ages together, on stage, dancing and singing. Cora LOVES this part, though she doesn't really try to follow the leader's dance moves, in any fashion.

6:30 - Stace and I are back in the Skipper Club room, as it's the end of the "I Can Learn" unit so the children are being awarded their badges. Before the badges, the children sit in a circle and Miss Heather goes over the evening's lesson, about friendship. "How do you feel when people are not nice to you?" she asks.
"I like Ave!" Cora shouts out. Cora can incorporate Ave into just about any conversation. Cora then announces to the room that she's hungry. She's definitely no shy wallflower.

7:15 - After Skipper Club, we do a bit of family shopping at Target, and get a new colorful rug for Cora's room, plus an art activity.

8:45 - We're home, and Dad puts Cora to bed since I'm feeling sick and need to eat again; she's down by 9:20, about 40 minutes later than we aim for. Oh well; we don't have to get up early for anything.
It was a successful day!
3 comments:
Great post Lisa I want to do something like this for Brooke at 2. Not as good at the wording as you!!
wow honey!!! Irememember once again what an amazing writer you are... cant wait for Cora t meet Duckie andthe rest of us too! love to all mom
You really do have a very busy day. How do you fit it all in. We're also looking forward to seeing you all. Love you Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment