We went out on Sunday to Tyneham, a tiny village that was taken over by the British government during WWII because of its strategic position on the Channel. Even now, the military uses the area around the ghost town for tank exercises.
There were plaques to read in every destroyed cottage.
The church had lots of informative displays as well.
This photo shows the row of cottages before the war, with their upper stories and roofs intact.
This was inside the schoolhouse, where I found the framed photos of Queen Elizabeth and King George V interesting.
There were plaques to read in every destroyed cottage.
The church had lots of informative displays as well.
This photo shows the row of cottages before the war, with their upper stories and roofs intact.
This was inside the schoolhouse, where I found the framed photos of Queen Elizabeth and King George V interesting.
There was so much to learn and see, and the only charge was a suggested two pound donation to park the car!
We then took a lovely 20 minute walk on a path near the woods to the bay.
We then took a lovely 20 minute walk on a path near the woods to the bay.
It felt like a private beach, and it practically was. If only it had been warmer, I think we all would have been in there.
Violet asked me to go with her up a nearby path up the hill, and I'm so glad I agreed.















.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment