Thursday, May 05, 2022

Rancho Camulos, At Last

Two years ago, with the world shut down due to a virus, Violet and her classmates missed out on their 4th grade field trip to Rancho Camulos. 
This year, field trips are back on the menu, but the traditional 6th grade trip to the Getty Museum was still off limits. 
So, I suggested to the teachers that this cohort take the Rancho Camulos trip, and they agreed. On Wednesday, I was lucky enough to come along as a chaperone.
Rancho Camulos is a part of California history, a rancho that used to cover a 48,600 acre swath of land used for farming and cattle. It also provided the setting for a famous novel named Ramona.
The field trip here is fabulous - educational and fun for the kids. Here, one of the docents leads them in making their own adobe brick from mud, straw and water. Adobe was a great building material in the hot southwest.
This sweet docent taught the kids some of the history of the area.
This gorgeous restored carriage was from the 1850s! You can see how wealthy the owners were.
The students also got to do some hands-on activities, like washing, wringing out and hanging clothing.

The day was warm but not too hot, and the setting is gorgeous, off the 126, between home and Fillmore. The kids enjoyed a picnic lunch, and I loved seeing Violet interact with her friends. She doesn't talk much about school friends, but seeing her with these guys, I can tell that they ARE friends!

After the last two years, I deeply appreciated being along for the ride, and I'm so grateful for the chance. (And let's not even go into the idea that it's very likely my last field trip!)
 

No comments: