Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Lazy Days

Summertime.

Late nights, lazy mornings, lots of playtime, lots of relaxing.
I love how my girls can quickly slip into vacation mode and sleep well into the 8 o'clock hour. Of course, the other side of this means that Cora is awake until almost 10 most nights, even if she's in bed before 9.

Our summer has been interesting - a week home, two weeks away, a week home, a week away, and now we're home for a couple of weeks.



On those days with no real big plans, we're following this summer list of things to do. As much as I love a bit of laziness, too much of it leads to too much screen time, crankiness, and arguing.

I had Cora help formulate the list our first full day of summer break, and she loves checking off what we've done.













One of the items Cora put on the list was "cooking time." She found a recipe in her children's cookbook she wanted to try, and we went off to Sprouts to buy the ingredients.

While shopping, Violet had a good question: "How do you say, 'milky hilky' in Spanish?"








While Cora handled her coconut lemon balls, Violet and I made zucchini-chocolate-chip muffins. Well, Violet said she wanted to help, but quickly tired of grating the zucchini.

Legos won out.

The other morning, Cora remarked, "I really want a pet lizard."
Violet replied, "I want a pet horse, because our grass is really long. Our back yard could be his stable."

Another Violetism: "Mom, do you know why houses need to be bigger than us? So there's room inside."

While listening to the radio, we heard the phrase "master of subtlety." Cora said, "I'm not a master of subtlety. I'm a master of defendity."
I think she was referring to her soccer defense skills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved this. Auntie P