Thursday, August 23, 2012

One week in

 Cora's been in "real school" for a little more than a week now, so it's a good time to give an update.
In general, she's doing well with the transition. Our mornings are going surprisingly smoothly, and the school work she's bringing home looks good. She tells us what she's learning, about the discipline system, and about what she does at recess - mostly swinging.

The 75 kindergartners are learning about colors, so here's Cora on "red day" and Cora and Johnny on "blue day" this week.







 

Being up and out every day has been a big adjustment for Cora. She's been asking why she can't go to school every other day, like in preschool. Or, why can't school be shorter? "I want to go to one-minute school," she declared last week.

She melted down a couple of afternoons her first week, seemingly picking a fight with me about my "boring" plans for the afternoon.

When I pressed her on it, it came out that she missed me, and thought being gone from me every day was too much. So, I've tried to spend some quality time with her each afternoon before she goes into her room for an hour or so's quiet time. 

We're so blessed to go to one of the few schools in SClarita where kindergarten remains a half-day! I don't know how much harder it would be for us if Cora were gone from 8 till 2:45 each day, like the bigger kids. I'll have to soak up this school year routine of my mornings with Violet, then lunch for the three of us, then Violet's nap, time with Cora, and then Cora's quiet time.

This week, I've been waking Cora up around 6:45, instead of the 7 a.m. plan we had formulated prior to school starting. She actually asked to be woken up earlier, so she has more time to lie in bed, play with her kitties, and "think."

(When I find her doing nothing instead of getting ready, that is the answer I get" "I'm thinking!" Later, I've asked what she was thinking about, and she said, "Thinking about flying," in that "duh!" tone of voice. What else would a fairy-lover think about?"

We've been doing good with getting Cora in bed, lights out, by 8 on school nights, and she's generally been asleep not long after.

 Since she's gone every day, Cora has been even better about finding way to entertain herself when she's home. I found these notes the other day and she explained that they are family rules, especially for her secret hideout under the train table.

One says "Be Nis," one says "No Cuting Her" (hair), one says "No Kicing" and two say "No Hiting."

I guess someone else who goes in her hideout must have a hitting problem. I think I know who! Miss Violet has certainly been acting her age lately.
For days, Cora was asking to recreate a breakfast idea she saw in a children's magazine, where you use fruit to decorate pancakes into faces. I wasn't up for making pancakes, but Cora went to town with a bread slice cut into an oval.  Pretty cute and creative!
Also, Cora's first week of school featured her recital for her summer Keyboard II class (above, she is with her teacher), and her final summer Kidz Love Soccer class. Busy week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your'e getting on so well at School Cora, love the red and blue pics ,getting up early will get better, we love you and Violet very much ,Nan and Pop xxxxxxxxxxxxxx