Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Recovering and Remembering

I've been going through old photos to scan in and create a photobook of Somer.

Here are some classics...

I think she is just gorgeous in the top one - look at those eyes!

And, in that process, I've rediscovered some great videos that I put on the blog, and that I obviously can't put in a photobook:

Cora at 14 months, playing with Somer with flowers; (I remember this so clearly - I hadn't shown Cora how to do this, or encouraged her to do it - I just heard it happening and grabbed the camera)

Cora at 20 months, piling rubber floor tiles onto Somer
; (Somer loved these tiles and for some reason thought they were toys to eat. Most of them have her tooth marks. She also liked to chew my nail files. Weird.)

Cora at 13 months, playing with her diapers with her best friend by her side (This one is more of Cora than Somer, but it does show how much Somie liked hanging out right next to the baby.)

Somer allowing almost-two-year-old Cora to play with her food. (This one cracks me up.)

Cora seems to be handling it well. She comforts us by saying that we don't need to be sad, because Somer is feeling better in heaven, and we'll see her again and play with her when we go to heaven.

I think that because Cora's so young, she just doesn't have the clear memories of how close she and Somer were for her first two-plus years, and that's why she's taking it so well. Somer had been very sick since August, and really, wasn't herself for months before that.

Stace and I, meanwhile, need a bit more time to get used to this unwelcome change. I still look for her on the couch and open the front door cautiously, waiting for her to try to escape. Today is the first day I haven't cried, so that is a step in the right direction.

We will get another cat, maybe even two, but will wait a few months. For one thing, there is no replacing Somer, so it would be stupid to try. For another, we are starting a kitchen project, which will be engrossing, for sure, and will mean lots of open doors. And finally, we will be in England in May, and away from the house and any potential pets for two weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics ,It brings back memories,
Very good ones and Cora's right somer is in heaven. Love you all Big kiss for Cora and Violet.Mum and Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.